This article is a follow-up for Hormonal Imbalance – Estrogen Dominance
In the previous article, we covered the symptoms and causes of estrogen dominance. In this article, we will be talking about ways you can reverse estrogen dominance in your body naturally, with some additional info on the subject.
When we think about estrogen we automatically associate it with women. Estrogen is not just a female hormone. It’s equally as important men have just the right levels of estrogen.
Your body actually produces three different types of estrogen.
- Estrone (E1) – Estrone is the second most common estrogen and a weaker type.
- Estradiol (E2) – Estradiol is a more potent version of estrogen known for supporting bone growth, serotonin levels, memory, and heart health.
- Estriol (E3) – Estriol is the weakest and known for being the predominant estrogen during pregnancy. It is thought to be acting as a barrier against breast cancer.
Estrogen is essential to maintaining healthy cholesterol levels, bone density, a balanced mood, and more. Both men and women need their estrogen to be balanced by other hormones and properly broken down. But when it isn’t broken down well or there is simply too much, it can lead to estrogen dominance.
Estrogen is much more complex then we give it credit to be. When discussing the three different types of estrogen, we often don’t know about the different effects estrogen has on receptors or estrogen metabolites. Our body needs not only the proper balance and breakdown to keep estrogen in check, but these different types antagonize one another in the body as well.
The three different types of estrogen bind two different types of estrogen receptors. The alpha receptors promote cell growth and beta receptors inhibit cell growth. Many tissues throughout the body have both types of receptors where estrogen antagonizes against itself through alpha and beta receptors.
- Estrone (E1) – This form of estrogen primarily activates alpha receptors in a 5 to 1 ratio, which increases cell proliferation.
- Estradiol (E2) – E2 binds to both alpha and beta receptors equally.
- Estriol (E3) – This estrogen is mostly activated by beta receptors in a 3 to 1 ratio, which inhibits cell proliferation but at a lower rate than E1.
Estrogen’s effects on different receptors make the type of estrogen dominant in a body important. Estrogen metabolites are also important. Estrogen is broken down along two pathways into two metabolites:
- 2-Hydroxyestrone – Generally, this metabolite works to block stronger estrogens.
- 16Beta-Hydroxyestrone – While this metabolite promotes cell proliferation, higher levels of 16Beta-Hydroxyestrone have been associated with obesity, hypothyroidism, pesticide toxicity, and higher levels of omega-6 fatty acids.
Ways You Can Help Your Body Reverse Estrogen Dominance
How to detoxify your body of estrogen?
- Lose Weight – Estrogens are stored in fat on the body. So when you lose weight, you reduce storage space for estrogens.
- Exercise – Exercise, especially sweating, is another great way of supporting detoxification.
- Saunas – Saunas are one of the best ways to detoxify within the body.
- Drink clean water – It is strongly recommended to invest in a good water filter. This is because we have so many toxins and potential endocrine disruptors in our drinking water which affect us greatly. drinking clean water is the best way to detoxify from the inside.
- Reduce stress levels – You’ve probably heard this time and time again that reducing stress levels is one of the best things you can do for your health and estrogen is no exception.
- Use clean personal care and beauty products – Beauty products and personal care products are some of the worst culprits for xenoestrogens (chemicals that mimic estrogen in the body).
- Avoid hormonal birth control – If possible, you should avoid hormonal birth control because it messes with hormonal balance in your body.
Foods to eat if you have estrogen dominance.
These include foods with sulforaphane, which help restore estrogen receptor expression.
- Brussels sprouts
- Bok choy
- Collard greens
Foods from the Brassica family, which include the compound Indole-3-carbinol and are a negative regulator of estrogen.
- Napa cabbage
- Bok choy
You should also eat more foods high in omega-3 fatty acids such as wild caught fish, nuts and seeds.
Foods to avoid if you have estrogen dominance.
- Soy and soy products – These include tempeh and tofu.
- Foods high in pesticides – Whenever possible go organic.
- Meat and dairy where hormones are used.
List of supplements you should take if you have estrogen dominance.
- Milk thistle
- Alpha-lipoic acid
- Diindolylmethane (DIM)
- Omega-3 fatty acids
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin B12
Remember, hormones are delicate and need to be carefully managed. If you suspect you have estrogen dominance I recommend working with a qualified doctor who has experience in the condition. If estrogen dominance has caused serious conditions such as endometriosis, these recommendations will not reverse the condition but can hopefully ease your symptoms.